Your kitchen range hood can make a big difference to your enjoyment of cooking and the air quality of not only your kitchen but your entire house! Read more to learn about the best ways to clean and maintain your range hood so it remains in tip-top condition.
Accurately Diagnose Common Range Hood Issues
- If smoke is not leaving the kitchen area even when the vent is working on full, check to see if the duct hood is either clogged or obstructed. grease is most often the culprit. Possibly, the fan may not be working on full power because of grease build up or a motor that is reaching the end of its life span. Oh and do not forget the obvious…it may be the air filter needs replacement or a mere cleaning.
- If the buttons or lights are not working, it is probably time to get expert help as the fault is often electrical in nature.
- When the motor is too loud or hummin it probably needs a good clean or in older models, being replaced.
Clean The Range Hood
- Turn off the range hood unit and ensure your stovetop is also turned off and not hot.
- Clean the interior and exterior of the hood with a regular non-abrasive degreaser or household cleaning spray.
- Ensure you do not spray the light bulb (or bulbs) and any electrical components.
Clean The Air Filter
Firstly, there are two kinds of filters. a charcoal filter and a metal filter. However, they are easily cleaned and if needed can be replaced:
- Metal Filter: Remove the filter, and submerge it with a degreasing solution. Once the grease has completed dissolving, wash thoroughly with soapy, warm water. You can even put it in the top rack of your dishwasher. Make sure it is totally dry before you put it back in the range hood.
- Charcoal Filter: You cannot clean a charcoal filter however they are very easy to replace. We suggest on an annual basis or whenever it starts to work less effectively.
Replace The Motor Or Clean The Fan?
The fan motor usually does not require regular maintenance. However, it is worth double checking as it can be exposed to grease, causing it not to function properly. More frequently, the blower wheel will have collected grease and dirt. You can remove this blower wheel and use a degreaser to clean it with. If this does not resolve the issue, it may be likely the motor does need to be replaced.
Clean The Vent
Regularly check the vent from the range hood to the outside. Its function can be really impaired by grease build up creating a fire hazard. If you discover this, you need to call a professional to ensure a thorough cleaning job is performed.
- Often clean the filter as it grease collects the most quickly there.
- Regularly clean the fan blades.
- Regularly check the vent to keep airflow maintained. If you allow grease to build up, it can become a fire hazard.
- Wash the exposed metal often with ammonia and warm soapy water.
Artistic Alloys Offers Custom Range Hoods In Arizona, California, Washington, & More
Artistic Alloys offers design, fabrication, and installation of custom range hoods for the entire United States! We can manufacture any style of range hood or oven hood you can think of including island range hoods, ductless range hoods, wall mount range hoods and ducted range hoods. Contact us today for a custom range hood quote. We offer custom range hoods installation in Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Glendale, Mesa, Phoenix, and anywhere else in Arizona. Need a custom range hood designed, fabricated, and shipped to California, Washington, New Mexico, Colorado, Oregon, Washington State, or Utah? We can help with that too!