There are two different fireplace insert types: logs and fireboxes. Use our step-by-step guide below to properly install your electric fireplace insert.
Here are the minimum clearances for the elements of a new electric insert:
- 3/8″ of space is standard from the firebox top to a non-combustible or combustible material.
- 1″ from the back and sides of the insert to surrounding walls.
- 2: from insert frame top to the mantel board above.
- There is currently no minimum clearance to the floor.
How To Install An Electric Fireplace Insert
Ensure your insert functions properly before any DIY installations. Test it by plugging it in and play with the heat and lights. If everything works, it’s time to move on to the first step.
Step 1. Place Cover Plate On Chimney
- Place a cover plate on your chimney to prevent any water from coming in prior to installation.
- If your chimney does not have a rain cap, this cover plate is in place to prevent any water infiltration.
Step 2. Close And Seal The Damper
- In order to prevent any heat loss or drafts, close and seal the damper of your masonry fireplace.
Step 3. Install Power Outlet
- Each and every insert will plug into a standard home power outlet.
- Install an outlet inside the fireplace if you wish to keep the surrounding area cordless.
- A licensed electrician should perform this task.
Step 4. Place Firebox In Fireplace
- Slide your firebox inside the fireplace opening.
- Next, center and level said firebox.
- Adjust the leveling screws, if needed.
- Some inserts come with tie-down brackets to attach to the back of the insert and the fireplace floor.
- Attach on both sides so your insert will not tip.
Step 5. Attach Trim Or Frame
- Attach the frame or trim to cover any gaps between the fireplace walls and insert.
- Some inserts may come with metal trim, with others featuring glass frames.
ARTISTIC ALLOYS & DESIGN OFFERS FIREPLACES IN ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, COLORADO, & MORE
Artistic Alloys & Design offers design, fabrication, and installation of custom fireplaces! We manufacture any style of range hood you can dream of including island range hoods, ducted range hoods, ductless range hoods, and wall mount range hoods. We provide range hood installation in Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Glendale, Mesa, Phoenix, and anywhere else in Arizona. Do you need a custom range hood designed, fabricated, and shipped to Colorado, California, New Mexico, Washington State, Oregon, or elsewhere in the US? We can help with that as well!